28 February 2012

In the Interest of Full Disclosure-Updated

I'm coming out of the employment closet.  Here's something that only a few people know: my immediate family, my in-laws, and my good friend CK.

I work at *********.  Weird.  My computer keeps censoring my employer.  *********.

It shouldn't be hard to figure out.  Wait for it...it's the largest fast food chain.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself, so let me skip back to the beginning.  When we moved up here, we had no idea how hard it would be to find jobs.  We started our search before we got here, and even when there was nothing promising, we didn't worry, because we had at least enough money to last us about 3 months.  I had a newly polished resume with great work experience.  The summer passed, and I estimate that I applied for at least 200 jobs.  Out of those 200 applications, I had 4 interviews. You might wonder what the problem was.  A part was that a huge loss of a certain industry left this area worker-rich, but jobs-poor, and I was over-qualified for most of the jobs in the area.  I didn't get the job at either of the first two interviews.  The last 2 interviews didn't come until after I downplayed my work history, including training, responsibilities, and salary history.    I needed a part-time job with a night shift (so I could stay home with Mimi while Austin worked) and flexible scheduling (so I could finally start school again.)

On the same day, I was offered two jobs.  ********* was the better offer. Slightly less pay, but better hours and directions to the management track. so I accepted it.  I've been there for four months now.  And you know what?

I like it.

After two months, I was promoted to trainer.  And now, 2 months later, I'm being trained for a management position.

I know people think that fast food is the bottom of the employment rung, that the workers are only there because they can't find anything else.  That might be possible, at least in this area, with it's lack of jobs, but since I started, I have worked with a great team of people who work there because they are good at their jobs and like it.  Some of them recently graduated with degrees in art, pharmacy, archaeology, and wildlife biology.  Some are military members and firefighters, high school students and grandparents, spoiled teenagers and people who have fought back after hard times and tragedies.

We're a team.

We even have fun.

I've never worked at a more physically demanding job, or one that is more entertaining.  It's a harder job than I ever imagined.  You have to have a great memory, attention to detail, be able to multi-task, and be able to have a smile on your face for the next customer, after the previous one just yelled at you.  But I have never laughed harder. I work the closing shift, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  There are only about 6 closers, so I work with the same people every nights.  In some ways, it actually reminds me of the last place I worked.  While it's a completely different scope of work, again I have a team that works together to get the job done.

Plus, my daughter thinks it's cool, and that's all that matters.

So there you have it.

(Thanks, CK)

Update:  I got a Leap Year promotion to Shift Manager.

1 comment:

  1. Yea, Erin!! I'm proud of you.
    yo mama

    ReplyDelete