13 April 2012

Mimi's Sleepover + Homemade Vanilla Wafers

Mimi has a sleepover tonight at her grandparents' house.  It's her second time.  The first time, she shooed us out of the house and cried when we went to pick her up the next morning because she wanted to stay there.  This time, she's waffling a little.  Last night, she woke up at 2am to tell me that she didn't want to sleep over there, and to please call Grandma and tell her.  I didn't make the call, not just because it was 2am, but because I knew she'd change her mind by today.  I told her we could make cookies to take over there to share with her cousins.  Kinley, who is an old pro at sleepovers, will be there, along with Porter, who is only staying for a few hours because he's only 1. 

I used this recipe: the best cookies in the world.  It's actually a recipe for homemade vanilla wafers.  I found the recipe and made them for the first time last summer, right before Austin's brother and his family came over for dinner.  TJ ate them by the handful.

I decided to double the recipe, so I can save some of the dough for later and to make sure there is enough for the kids to have a bunch, even if TJ grabs a bunch too.  I did make a few changes to the recipe, like not using a vanilla bean because I didn't have one, and I used salted butter instead of unsalted butter. 


Mix the dough


Put the dough in a pastry bag.  Don't have a pastry bag?  I have no idea where mine are.  Probably the same place that all of my decorating tips are.  I don't know where those are either.  So this is what I do:  Take a ziploc bag, and put a couple of layers of tape over the corner.  This strengthens the bag a little and gives you more control when piping.  Then snip off the corner. 



Start piping.  The dough starts out kind of firm, but the heat of your hand will warm it up and by the time you are on the last few cookies, the dough will soften up a lot.



Fill up your cookie sheets and bake.  These cookies spread out a little bit, but not too much, so you can also pipe them into shapes or letters.  I did a couple M's and I's for Mimi. 



Mimi commands you to try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment